Followers

Thursday, March 28, 2013

5301 Research Journey~Final Reflections


            In reflection of this course, my journey begins with knowing that I have sustained the passion and drive that it takes to be a strong, effective leader. My experienced gained has been vast. This course has guided me to develop, monitor, and evaluate all aspects of leading an organization for the benefit of many stakeholders. It has been a challenge, but an essential learning tool that I have greatly enjoyed.

            We began our studies by learning about administrator inquiry. I learned that simply stated, administrator inquiry refers to the process of a principal engaged in systematic, intentional study of his/her own administrative practice and taking action for change based on what he/she learns as a result of the inquiry (Dana, 2009, p. 2). I truly enjoyed learning about this and knowing, that as a leader, I will have to manage my time to incorporate this transforming tool into my daily plans. I have to sustain the understanding that as a principal leader, my job will be “focusing on the routine management jobs that must get done...the constant demand for time and attention” (Dana, 2009, p. 2), but that I must also sustain the aspect of making time for inquiry  and reflection. This will create a more balanced leader in me and one who can lead to success of my organization.

            We next explored our passions as administrator inquirers. Charting new territory can be exciting but also quite frightening when beginning a journey in which you are unfamiliar with both the terrain and your final destination (Dana, 2009, p. 29). I explored my own growth and development in this study area. I felt a sense of validation for all my wonderings as an educator. I gained insight into passions that can drive me.  I learned that these occur in real-world observations as an administrator and they materialize within us as leaders. I gained knowledge knowing that I cannot focus my wonderings on controlling people or situations. It takes time to discover true passion to sustain a process and share it. That’s what is so wonderful about the inquiry process—it keeps us constantly looking for better ways to serve our students and help them become successful (Langford, 2008, p. 181).

            As we progressed in this course, we began to develop our road maps. We explored options for data collection and confronted ways of navigating and analyzing that data. I learned in this journey of study that there are so many means of exploring the many possibilities available for data collection and selecting those data collection strategies that give you the best insights into the wondering(s) you wish to pursue (Dana, 2009, p. 71). When the word “data” is presented, most people think of number crunching and statistical analysis. I learned this personally from my first meeting with my site manager. He heard the word “research” and immediately thought of all the “data, aka numbers” I was going to have to collect as he shared his own stories of his research plan. But in exploring this in this course, I learned data is more than just numbers. There are many facets that I want to try when I explore my data and this course opened some of those doors that I could use. I tried to incorporate a variety of data collection tools in my action research plan, so that I can learn more about this. That was my first step in wanting to learn more about these collection tools. I also know that as I begin to implement my plan, I will want to refer back to the many ways to collect data because, depending on the source, there will be a data tool to match it to collect the best results for me. I will also take notice of the data tools that are being implemented on my present campus and analyze those. This will help to grow my knowledge of what works best and when. Good principal researchers invoke multiple sources of data to accomplish what qualitative researchers refer to as “triangulation” (Creswell, 1998; Patton, 2002). Using multiple sources of data can enhance my inquiry and help me to gain different perspectives from different strategies. I am excited to know that “data” doesn’t have to be just “numbers”. Developing this road map of different data collection tools will be so powerful for me as a leader. Gaining the knowledge now and then enabling it and sharing with others the many aspects of data collecting can help them to learn and develop. I want to see where I can explore gaining more knowledge of this specific area in my daily world as an educator. I will work to attain aspects for this and then reflect on what I see. In doing so, I will be able to sustain information that can help me to build into a stronger understanding of this specific area. I want to capture the action within my school, dialogue, analyze, and share. I want to develop the confidence to know what data collecting and analysis truly is for the success of my campus and my future learning.

            This leads to one final area we learned in this study and that is the aspect of sharing our work with others. I can say that I really experienced some enjoyment with this. It was sharing, discussing, and dialoguing with people outside the realm of my building and in many forms. The blogging, for example, was so powerful a tool. I began to develop trusting relationships with people who have the same passions and desires for success as leaders. Action research is collaboration on many levels. As a leader, one can be a part of many experiences; it is not a one-man show. All these benefits can facilitate change for an organization and as a leader it becomes reflection in action. I really gained a multitude of insight in this class about my own leadership aspects in dealing with this new learning. I reflected on my own leadership style and looked at my strengths and my weaknesses. I take away knowing that principals are, first and foremost, the leaders of their school building, and they have thus accepted the leadership challenge to get extraordinary things done in their organizations (Dana, 2009, p. 52). I have gained insight to the fact that I want to accept these challenges. I want to model the way, inspire to share my vision, challenge the process, enable others to act, and encourage the heart (Kouzes & Posner, 2002). All these little intricate reflections reflect my passion to want to be a leader and they will only help me to grow and engage in becoming a more effective leader with great confidence.

             My journey concludes with knowing that I have to continue this journey as “head learner”. The old adage, “It’s the journey, not the destination” (Dana, 2009, p.172) holistically describes my viewpoint as a principal inquirer. I have to know that engaging in inquiry is not about solving every educational problem that exists; rather, it’s about finding new and better problems to study and, in doing so, leading a continuous cycle of self and school improvement. It will be important for me to asses the quality of my work and guide the transferability of my work for the success of my plans. All these aspects will be the enhancers of my success as a “head learner” and result in me being a “head leader”. Overall, as I reflect back over the course of my five weeks in this program, it has taught me a lot. My passions have expelled and I am excited to embark on this journey as a leader with passion and knowledge. I will continue to cultivate and engage in my learning to enhance my professional growth and to sustain the benefits of becoming a strong, effective leader...hence, truly becoming the best that I can be and an inspiration for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment