Followers

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"I wonder...I think...What if...?"


Lessons Learned:

            Some lessons learned this week  during my  action  research study is that you have to find your passion. You have to find that drive. A principal’s phrases of “I wonder...,”  “I think...,” and “What if...?” do not materialize out of thin air. According to Hubbard and Power (1993), wonderings and questions come from “real world observations and dilemmas” (p. 2). I learned that for action research it has to be something that is doable and something that one is truly passionate about. This was the advice of Dr. Arterbury and Dr. Jenkins, as well as, my own site supervisor. As a principal, you have to continue to do action research for professional growth and development. It is something that can help you be a successful leader and maintain a successful campus. As a principal, action research needs to be something that you encourage in your staff, too. You have to be the leader and the facilitator of this, so that your teachers and staff can empower their own “wonderings” and passions and continue to grow and be excited with their teachings. Action research is a powerful mechanism for new understandings. It takes time and thoughtful planning to carry out an effective action plan, but the benefits could be so impactful. Questions for topics and processes that shed light on significant and substantial learning develop through this inquiry for you, your teachers, and the students in your building (Dana, 2009). That’s what is so wonderful about the inquiry process—it keeps us constantly looking  for better ways to serve our students and help them become successful” (Langford, 2008, p. 181).

6 comments:

  1. I really like the term "wonderings". In viewing the profession of principal, I really never thought that wonderings were part of the job description. After the readings done for week 2, I have learned that all of the wonderings I do as an educator can become action research topics of study.

    Follow my blog: http://stateofaction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the Dana text, I learned that participating in action research is very important if you want to continue to grow as a leader in your profession. It allows you to look at things that you may want to do differently and make changes to it based on what needs improvement. I know that at my school we have data team meetings once a month and this allows us to look at our data and determine what we need to do differently in our instruction to help our students be successful. Action Research helps drive our instruction.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been enlightening to realize that action research should not be a daunting task, but rather something that we have a wondering about. Through action research, that wondering will hopefully produce answers to benefit our students and/or staff. I noticed in the blog URL pdf that you listed curriculum as your topic for action research. I am integretating problem based learning into our science curriculum to see the impact on student engagement as well as on the 5th grade science STAAR exam. I would love to know what aspect of curriculum you are exploring. Thanks. You can follow me at traceylafara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lifelong learning. We all do action research and are just now realizing it. When leaders lead by example, people will ususlly follow them. When we improve, our students also benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you said about finding your passion. I think all educators share the passion of a love for learning. When our students, teachers, and community see that we are lifelong learners it inspires others to continues the cycle. I agree these are ways to make a campus better and successful for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful to be learning about action research now before I get started as a principal. Inquiry is such a powerful tool for school improvement. Principals can learn ways to run more effecient and effective schools filled with motivated teachers and students. I think action research is a great staff development tool. Teachers can find relevant solutions to real-life problems in their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete